Infantino Confirms Iran Will Play 2026 World Cup Matches in U.S.
Gianni Infantino told the FIFA Congress in Vancouver on April 30 that Iran will participate in the 2026 World Cup and play all group-stage matches in the United States despite diplomatic tensions.

FIFA confirms Iran will play all 2026 World Cup group-stage matches on US soil despite tensions

Trump says ‘let them play’ after FIFA confirms Iran World Cup games in US

Trump OK with Iran Competing in World Cup During War — After Previously Calling for Replacement: ‘Let ‘Em Play’

Iran will play World Cup games in US, FIFA president says
Overview
FIFA President Gianni Infantino said at the FIFA Congress in Vancouver on April 30 that Iran will participate in the 2026 World Cup and will play its group-stage matches in the United States.
The confirmation follows diplomatic tensions after Canadian officials denied entry to Iranian federation officials, including president Mehdi Taj, who turned back at Toronto airport.
Iran had requested that its U.S. matches be moved to Mexico but the request was rejected, and U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters, "If Gianni said it, I'm OK" and "Let them play."
Iran will open against New Zealand at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles on June 15, play Belgium at SoFi on June 21, and face Egypt at Lumen Field in Seattle on June 26.
FIFA said the schedule will stand while host nations control border policies, and Iran's absence from the Congress underscores potential logistical and political complications ahead.
Analysis
Center-leaning sources report neutrally: they present Infantino's statements, cite Canadian officials about denied entry, note protesters and logistical concerns, and include factual ticket and payout data without loaded adjectives. Editorial choices prioritize factual quotes and diverse perspectives, minimizing evaluative language and avoiding selective omission of major viewpoints.