China Pressure Forces Cancellation Of RightsCon In Zambia
Access Now canceled RightsCon after Zambian officials said China pressured them over Taiwanese participants; the summit was due in Lusaka May 5-8 and drew more than 2,600 registrants.

Chinese pressure to exclude Taiwanese activists shuts down rights summit
Rights summit in Zambia is canceled after Chinese pressure to exclude Taiwanese activists

Zambia cancels world’s largest human rights and tech summit days before start

Zambia cancels digital rights summit over China Taiwan tension

The Chinese Government Just Got the World’s Largest Digital Rights Conference Canceled
Overview
Access Now said it canceled the RightsCon summit after Zambian officials told organisers they had been pressured by China because Taiwanese civil society participants planned to attend.
Zambian authorities had announced a postponement citing a need to ensure the event aligned with national values and pending administrative and security clearances for some participants.
Taiwanese Minister Lin Yi-jing said the cancellation showed China's unease over Taiwan and RightsCon, and Human Rights Watch called on Zambian authorities to explain their actions.
RightsCon was due to run May 5-8 in Lusaka with more than 2,600 expected participants, and UNESCO moved parts of World Press Freedom Day events to Paris after the disruption.
Access Now said foreign interference was the reason the summit would not proceed in Zambia and said it would transform its approach while many delegates faced travel and financial losses.
Analysis
Center-leaning sources frame the cancellation as driven by Beijing's influence, using loaded terms and selective context. They foreground phrases like 'pressure from Chinese authorities' and Zambia's heavy Chinese debt, juxtapose official administrative explanations with rights groups' claims, and amplify a CSIS expert linking the move to democratic erosion, prompting a skeptical narrative.