Secret Service Kills Armed Man At Mar-a-Lago
A 21-year-old man identified as Austin Tucker Martin was shot after entering Mar-a-Lago's north gate with a shotgun and gas can on Feb. 22, 2026.
Overview
U.S. Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach County deputy shot and killed a man after he entered Mar-a-Lago's secure perimeter around 1:30 a.m. on Feb. 22, 2026, the Secret Service said.
The man was observed near the property's north gate carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can, and he was ordered to drop the items before authorities fired, Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said.
Investigators identified the man as 21-year-old Austin Tucker Martin of Cameron, North Carolina, and the FBI is leading the active investigation while the involved agents will be placed on administrative leave, officials said.
Authorities said the man had been reported missing by his family a few days earlier, no law enforcement officers were injured, and a box for the weapon was recovered in his vehicle, officials said.
FBI Director Kash Patel said the bureau would dedicate all necessary resources and asked residents to check security footage as the probe continues, officials said.
Analysis
Center-leaning sources largely mirror law-enforcement accounts, prioritizing official language like "unauthorized entry" and "neutralized the threat." Editorial choices emphasize procedural details and absence of the president, while offering few independent perspectives. Inclusion of political statements (e.g., "crazy person") is presented as sourced, reinforcing an officer-centric narrative without deeper context.
Sources (38)
FAQ
Austin Tucker Martin was a 21-year-old painter from Cameron, North Carolina, known for creating dark, moody watercolors and sketches of local golf courses. He had been reported missing by his family days before the incident.[1]
Around 1:30 a.m. on February 22, 2026, Martin entered the secure perimeter near the north gate carrying a shotgun and fuel can. He was ordered to drop the items, lowered the fuel can but raised the shotgun threateningly, prompting Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach County deputy to shoot and kill him.
No, President Trump and Melania Trump were not at the estate; they were in Washington at the time.[1]
The FBI is leading the active investigation into the man's background, actions, potential motive, and use of force, with Secret Service agents on administrative leave. FBI Director Kash Patel pledged full resources and requested security footage from residents.


































