Minnesota Charges ICE Agent Over Minneapolis Shooting

County prosecutors charged ICE agent Christian J. Castro with assault and false reporting after video contradicted federal accounts of a Jan. 14 Minneapolis shooting.

Overview

A summary of the key points of this story verified across multiple sources.

1.

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty filed charges on May 18 against ICE agent Christian J. Castro, 52, accusing him of four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime in a Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis.

2.

Prosecutors say Castro fired through a closed front door, striking Sosa-Celis in the leg and lodging a bullet in a child's bedroom wall, and that evidence contradicted federal claims he had been assaulted, Moriarty said.

3.

An ICE spokesperson called the prosecution a "political stunt" and said the U.S. Attorney's Office is investigating alleged false statements, the agency said.

4.

Castro is the second ICE agent to face state charges this year after prosecutors issued an April arrest warrant for Gregory Donnell Morgan Jr., and the operation involved about 3,000 ICE and Border Patrol officers, prosecutors said.

5.

Moriarty said her office is prepared to prosecute if Castro's defense seeks to move the case to federal court and said a state conviction would make him ineligible for a presidential pardon.

Written using shared reports from
15 sources
.
Report issue

Analysis

Compare how each side frames the story — including which facts they emphasize or leave out.

Center-leaning sources frame the story as an accountability narrative by foregrounding prosecutorial allegations and video evidence that contradicts ICE’s account. Editorial choices prioritize prosecutor perspectives and pattern-of-misconduct context while presenting DHS statements tersely. Source content includes Moriarty’s line that Castro "was not under any physical threat" and DHS’s earlier claim.