Rescuers Retrieve Bodies After Mount Dukono Eruption

Three hikers died after Mount Dukono erupted, sending ash about 10 kilometers into the air and complicating a search that recovered two Singaporean bodies.

Overview

A summary of the key points of this story verified across multiple sources.

1.

Rescuers on Halmahera found the bodies of two Singaporean hikers on Sunday and had earlier recovered an Indonesian woman, and the National Disaster Management Agency said the search and rescue operation is now closed.

2.

The hikers became stranded when Mount Dukono erupted early Friday, sending an ash column about 10 kilometers into the air and leaving three roughly 50 meters from the main crater rim.

3.

Abdul Muhari said the two men were buried under deep, densely packed volcanic material that complicated and slowed evacuation efforts, and Iwan Ramdani said search teams were repeatedly disrupted by ongoing volcanic activity.

4.

Twenty hikers had set out, 17 were evacuated—including seven Singaporean nationals—with ten suffering minor burns, and nearly 100 to more than 100 personnel supported the search under a reinforced four-kilometer exclusion zone.

5.

The victims' bodies were taken to an emergency post and then Tobelo Regional Hospital for identification, authorities urged compliance with safety bans and warned of legal sanctions while volcanology officials continue monitoring Dukono's activity.

Written using shared reports from
7 sources
.
Report issue

Analysis

Compare how each side frames the story — including which facts they emphasize or leave out.

Center-leaning sources report this incident neutrally, relying on official statements and factual details without evaluative language. They emphasize police quotes about casualties, safety risks, and possible charges, presenting those as source content rather than editorial judgment. Omitted are sensational adjectives, political angles, or speculative causes.